OWL (Online Writing Lab)
What is an OWL?
The Online Writing Lab (OWL) offers students, faculty and staff access to trained tutors in the Writing Tutorial Lab. Within 24 hours, we can answer questions you may have about any stage of the writing process such as selecting a topic, generating ideas, revising a draft, or editing.
How do I use the OWL?
- See our FAQs page if you have a question concerning the tutoring session, such as making an appointment, understanding what takes place during a session, or knowing what to bring to the session.
- See our Writing Resources page for links to help you with writing and editing strategies, information for ESL students, online reference books, as well as helpful resources for teachers.
- See our Troubleshooting page for a selection of questions relating to common problems you may face in your writing.
- Send us a writing question. You can send us questions concerning areas such as comma and semicolon usage, possessives, quotation marks, subject/verb agreement, or any other specific question you may have about the mechanics or conventions of academic writing. If you havent been able to find the answer to your question on our Troubleshooting page, Writing Resources page or FAQs page, please send us a question about your current writing project or writing in general. You should receive a response within 24 hours.
- Send us a draft of your paper. You can send us a draft of your paper, along with any questions or concerns you might have, and a writing tutor will address as many of those issues as possible within the time available. Each electronic draft will be given 30 minutes per session just like a one-to-one tutorial in person.